Saturday, October 30, 2010

October is my Favorite Month!



I found out today that Bethany got a head-start on Christmas tradition this Halloween weekend. She went to a bar with her boyfriend and ordered some kind of peppermint schnapps beverage. Basically, junior mints with alcohol. A bit early in the season, but, upon hearing this, I was/am envious. We settled the issue, deciding to go back to the bar over Christmas break, bringing our own boxes of junior mints and toothpicks--makeshift martini garnishes galore. Our scheme ended with us dressing up as elves and bringing a team of Decepticons. We’ll get free drinks this way, you see.

Besides envying Bethany's alcoholic excursion, I'm having a good Halloween weekend. I planned on dressing up as a vegan storm trooper (a storm trooper costume with a t-shirt that says "I'm a vegan") on Friday night, which didn't happen. I also planned on having a lovely evening with my friends Thursday night, which did happen, but somehow, I ended up fashioning an improvised Carebear costume. I wore a hot pink tutu, a head band with colorful + fuzzy bear ears, and a red lip liner heart sketched on my nose. Why did I dress like this, you ask? The options were: dress up as Dr. Seuss's Thing 1 or a hot pink Carebear. No further options existed.

As Bridget drew the heart on my nose, I recalled what it was like to live with her.

Bridget: Stand still; I'm going to draw a heart on your nose. Stop laughing. Nothing about this is funny.
(Before I could protest the drawing, she was basically finished.)
Me: It's impossible to feel in control over what happens to my body. And you know, what’s weird is that there is no force involved, but there’s always a subtle sense that something terrible may happen if I don’t comply. Kind of like subtle government policies.

Last night was fun too; beers and Silence of the Lambs. Joe + I also went on a small hike at Sycamore Trails (which has beautiful trails, copious color-changing trees, open fields, a duck pond, a tire swing!—right around the corner from a Wendy’s, ha.), and we decided it would be wonderful to be ducks.

In unrelated news, and I’ve been saying this for a bit, but I really, truly want to be a part of UD’s improv team. Think what you want about the quirky folk who are involved with improv; I just think it would be good for me. I haven’t been involved in ANYTHING the entire time I’ve attended college and this is probably my last chance. I also think it would be really good for me to step out of my introverted (chocolate-covered) shell; I used to be more outwardly goofy. So, as of right now, I’m working on a monologue. Results soon to come (and may vary).

I’m tired always. I miss the days when I didn’t care about school. Homework. THE BANALITY OF MY LIFE IS UNBEARABLE. Just kidding. That outburst was avoidable, but comical. At least in my head.

By the way: I’m desperately seeking identical twins for an envious friendship. Spread the word.

Off to bake banana bread.

No comments: